Not a bad way to kick-off the summer.

I can’t even begin to think of an appropriate title for last weekend.  We covered some serious ground, including multiple once in a lifetime activities.  I also took about 200 photos but only 50 or so were decent since I forget to put on the zoom lenses.  Oops.  But don’t panic, I’ve whittled my 50 decent photos down to about 35…kidding…

Let’s begin shall we?

On Friday I drove over to Seattle by myself.  This is notable for many reasons…one I was by myself for over two hours and reason number two; I was headed to our it’s been ten years since graduation sorority reunion.  Yep, I’m a Kappa Kappa Gamma folks.  This often surprises people, but if you could rewind time about 10 years or more it might not…

Need more convincing?  Let’s compare 10 years ago-ish vs. today.

Bid-day.  We were freshman at the University of Washington and newly minted Kappa Kappa Gamma pledges.

{Yes, the older pictures are pictures of pictures…back in the old days we used something called *film.*}

Today.  We are now in our early thirties an eclectic group of mothers, interior designers, teachers, nurses, lawyers, and a couple of doctors thrown into the mix for good measure.

We knew how to have a good time then and still do today.  Since I’m not planning on letting my kids read this blog until they are in high school, I’ll tell you the truth.  I never, ever, went to a party or drank in high school.  I can’t say the same thing about college.  My type-A personality came out in full force; if I was going to be a sorority girl then I was going to be a sorority girl.  I worked out every single day {and haven’t since college}, never missed a class, was on the Dean’s list every quarter but one and yes, I went out to parties almost every single night.  Don’t worry, I did try to balance all of this out by attending church with my aunt and cousins, though my aunt will kindly remind me that I probably slept through more services than not.

Then.  I showered and washed my hair twice a day.  {This must have been the result of all of my working out and party primping.}  Today, I shower daily but only wash my hair ever three days or so…this must mean much less working out and very little partying?

I could have sworn that I had somehow *bi-passed the freshman 15* however pictures say otherwise.  Alex likes to joke that you can’t tell my pregnancy pictures apart from my college pictures.  He might have a point.

We all lived together for four years…sharing all of our meals together, sleeping on bunk beds, staying up late and talking and laughing at ourselves.  It was so wonderful to see all of these amazing woman together again and to meet their beautiful families.  I was also relieved to hear that I wasn’t the only one who has struggled to keep in touch and I vowed that I will do my best to go beyond Christmas cards and e-mails…

As if a fun reunion dinner and family picnic wasn’t enough, Alex {who had made the two-hour drive with the kiddos on Saturday} and I attended the U2 concert at Quest Stadium Saturday evening.

This is stage, or the *claw* as its better known…I took this photo for sweet baby Jack Robert who was born on June 4th…apparently along with 304,152 other babies {at least according to Bono…}  We are beyond thrilled for Jaclyn and Jason and can’t wait to meet baby Jack!

It was probably one of the coolest experiences I’ve ever had.  Truly.  And we’re not concert people.  At all.  Need proof?  My previous concerts include the Dave Matthew’s Band, Tim McGraw, The Goo-Goo Dolls and Montel Jordan.  Anyhow, I’d mentioned some time last year that if U2 was ever performing nearby I’d love to go.  Alex, my darling husband and wonderful listener surprised me with two tickets for Christmas.

If you are even somewhat near a U2 concert {there are about 9 left in the US}  GO!  It was amazing.  It was a show in the truest sense.

Sunday we woke up bright and early thanks to our little ones and enjoyed a wonderful morning with my Aunt, Uncle and cousins who not only hosted our family of five for the weekend, but willingly and lovingly cared for our boys while we were at the concert.  Out of town family baby-sitters are the best!

Finally it was time to load up our two cars and make the two hour drive home just in time to get everybody settled for the evening so that Alex and I could go do this:

Yup.  We went on a helicopter ride.

I discovered I’m sort of an adrenaline junkie.  Except for the part where I was sweating profusely after one too many dips, flying sideways and going straight up and then quickly down manuevers.

Above, pre take-off and sweat…below…well, you get the idea…see the land out the window?  Sideways I tell ya…

The views were breathtaking.

Our helicopter ride was part of a dinner that was hosted by two other couples and it fell right into place in our amazing weekend.  The helicopter landed in the front yard of our host’s home.  Um, yeah, that’s pretty darn cool.  Afterwards we were treated to an amazing Italian dinner, dining outside and enjoying the beautiful views.  {My camera was tired at this point and so was I…}

So yeah, catching up with dear friends, enjoying time with extended family, U2, helicopter rides, delicious dinners, you could say that last weekend was a pretty good way to kick off the summer.

Naturally, on Monday I scared myself to death by briefly loosing Charlie {as in I was running around yelling and frantically searching for my boy who had wandered off, two blocks away.}  We had a pipe/faucet break leaving us with gushing water outside and no water inside.  And William fell off the kitchen counter stool about 2.3 seconds after I finished snapping these photos.

Good to know things always balance themselves out in the end right?


2 thoughts on “Not a bad way to kick-off the summer.

  1. Two whole blocks away??? Oh my goodness!! I bet you were frantic! I did that once when JEB was about 2. We were getting ready to go to therapy, I had opened the garage door, and the door to the garage from the house. Decided to make a quick trip to the garden in the backyard to see my one and only sunflower, and when I came back inside? he had vanished!! I went screaming from the house calling and calling his name, yelling frantically only to find him on the neighbor’s porch across the street!!!! Oh my word…..I felt my heart totally drop into my gut as all of those pictures of a car coming barrelling down our street, (which they never did that), and what the possibilities were!! I got him promptly into the car and cried for about 10 minutes!!

    Glad you were able to find him and that all ended up ok. Except for the rise in your blood pressure and the rapid beating of your heartbeat.

    Wow! What an amazing ride!! Never quite had the stomach to do that, but it sure looks cool!!


  2. Looks like you had an amazing weekend! What fun to see old friends.

    Soooo glad that Charlie is ok. How frightening!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s